Re: Strange beaming error

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Strange beaming error
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 23:43:08 +0100

Hi Chris,

OK, I've now compiled your score (thanks for the gist, looks nice BTW) and went through the beaming issues I could see.

First of all I must say that the new subdivision logic (introduced in 2.19.35) seems to do what I wanted and is actually an improvement: Compare 01.png to 02.png and 03.png and tell me which one gives you a more immediate idea of the music ...
(and just in case anyone is in doubt: 01 is the new one and how it should be done, 02 is 2.19.34, and 03 is 2.19.19 (and any older version).

###

First issue I saw is shown in 04.png (m. 21)
Note that the music is in 6/8.
I'm not sure this qualifies as a bug as it is actually wrongly coded with
\set Timing.baseMoment = (ly:make-moment 1/16)
\set Timing.beatStructure = #'(6 6)

You should change that to
\set baseMoment = (ly:make-moment 1/8)
\set beatStructure = #'(3 3)
, then the result is correct as per 05.png.
But I suggest you don't subdivide here at all (as you have correctly do in the l.h.) - or if you would consider subdivisions as the way to go then at least do it in both hands.

###

However, a possible issue is shown in 06.png.
Here it may be wrong that the first beam has a beamlet instead of two beams. This is a case for David's suggestion to write down *all* rules. The issue is that the durations are the same as baseMoment - but here it is used correctly (other than with the first example). This notation is very useful if you have a single trailing note on a beam after a subdivision, but here it seems slightly strange.

###

I couldn't reproduce the issue shown in your initial message, though.

###

Is there any issue I overlooked?

Best
Urs