Re: Segmentation Fault in music with cueDuring

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Re: Segmentation Fault in music with cueDuring
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 06:37:49 -0600

On 12/29/15 6:38 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:
On 30.12.2015 00:53, Simon Albrecht wrote:
this is definitely a bug, I’d say. I’ll write to the bug list.

FWIW, I created a tracker issue directly:
<https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4718/>
How did you get that log output, i.e. how did you invoke LilyPond?

Yours, Simon

I once created a function to show/print cues/quotes known to the parser.
Applied to the current use case:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.19.32"

cueNotes = \relative c'' {
    s4. <g d'>8 d' s4.
}

\addQuote "cueNotes" \cueNotes

#(define* (music-quotes-info #:optional (name "")(print #f))
  (let* ((music-quotes-list
           (hash-map->list cons (ly:parser-lookup 'musicQuotes)))
         (quote-vector (assoc-get name music-quotes-list #()))
         (quote-list (vector->list quote-vector)))
   (cond ((string-null? name)
          (display-scheme-music music-quotes-list))
         ((and (not (null? quote-list)) print)
          (make-sequential-music
            (map
              (lambda (m) (ly:prob-property (caadr m) 'music-cause))
              quote-list)))
         (else (display-scheme-music
                 (make-sequential-music
                   (map
                     (lambda (m) (ly:prob-property (caadr m) 'music-cause))
                     quote-list)))))))

%% raw data of all quotes
%#(music-quotes-info)
%% `display-scheme-music'
#(music-quotes-info "cueNotes")
%% set `print' #t and use $ to get it printed
$(music-quotes-info "cueNotes" #t)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

You'll see that only the chord's first note is quoted!
That's at least related to
NR
"
Known issues and warnings
Only the contents of the first Voice occurring in an \addQuote command
will be considered for quotation [...]
"

Though,
(1) It should not return a segfault
(2) The NR-warning talks about new Voices etc. Before testing I wasn't
aware that quoting chords is not supported as well. Should be
mentioned, imho
(3) I do understand why quoting more than a single voice is a problem,
but not how difficult it would be to support chords.
That confuses me somewhat.  Consider:

\version "2.19.32"

cueNotes = \relative c'' {
   s4. <g d'>8 d' s4.
}

\addQuote "cueNotes" \cueNotes

{ \cueDuring #"cueNotes" #DOWN R1 }

The output looks exactly as I would expect if chords were supported.  I think
they are supported.  And tied notes and tied chords in the quoted music work as
expected.  The only issue I see is lack of correct implementation of tied
individual notes within quoted chords, resulting in a segmentation fault.

(Since quoted chords do work, why doesn't music-quotes-info show them?)

So I'm not sure whether it's a documentation issue or defect or an
enhancement or both.

Simon, I answered here on user-list to let Patrick Karl know, but
please add it on the tracker if you feel it might be helpful

Cheers,
   Harm