Re: Telemann's "Strich"

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Telemann's "Strich"
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 16:04:34 +0000

On Sun, 2015-12-20 at 13:36 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-12-20 at 14:22 +0100, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> > Hello Richard,
> >
> > I should have shown a bit more of Telemann's original.
> > Telemann writes his figures above the bass staff,
> that's the commonest position until the 19th c (which is what LilyPond
> defaults to, I made Denemo tell LilyPond to follow the 18th c norm).
> >  and only occasionally, when there is not enough space for two numbers on
> > top of each other, the bottom will go below the staff.
>
> >  I think that what you saw as figures are actually references to
> > "footnotes" below the music.
> I can see the figures (a bit cut off) above. The figures in parentheses
> are pretty clearly not figured bass, so the straight line between (9)
> and (10) is curious in being below, but otherwise is a not-implausible
> bass figure extender.
>
> > So no, I don't think they are figured bass extenders (aren't these
> > horizontal lines following a number or an accidental?
>
> well, no. They are often angled and they don't end with a number or
> accidental, though the note where they end may have these. My
> understanding of them is that they are an indication that the harmony is
> not changing, rather than any sort of hint as to whether to repeat the
> chord.
>
> > Nowhere in this collection there is such a horizontal line.)
> > Telemann uses the straight lines much like slurs, and in some of his songs
> > one can find them both, curved and straight slurs, apparently for the same
> > purpose, judging from his realization.
> Is this piece in IMSLP?

Thank you for the link to IMSLP. I've typeset the melody and bass of
this piece using LilyPond (via Denemo, attached) - looking through it
I'm convinced that those are indeed figured bass extenders, they all
bear that interpretation (given that he has explicitly shown the
harmonies he intends). His convention seems to be that the figured bass
extender is always placed on the opposite side to the beam (that would
be direction='auto in LilyPond-speak?).

Best

Richard