Re: Lower-case letter rehearsal marks

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lower-case letter rehearsal marks
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2015 15:19:58 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> This whole stuff looks quite obfuscated to me.
> Currently we do a lot of calculation to end up with then hard-coded vectors.
> Why not give the initial value directly?
> Below three suggestions, via string, char-set, vector.
> Maybe we could even introduce a context-property for it.

I think we may be going at this the wrong way.  We have a similar issue
with chord names.  And all of that has to be constructed ad-hoc in some
manner.

I think it would make more sense if we had building blocks working
purely on the markup level.  Like

\letter #1

which just produces a letter.  And then some markup function to format
it.

Similarly with chords.  Have basic functions called for creating a name,
and for creating a markup list of modifiers, and then a formatter which
puzzles together the pieces.

And you can just pick different components, or assemble differently, or
write something for formatting a particular component differently.

It just doesn't make sense that all this needs to get defined and
plugged together at some function call level where people need to copy
opaque stuff from inside of LilyPond's definitions.

--
David Kastrup