Re: Better slashed graces

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Better slashed graces
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 11:51:21 -0700 (MST)

David Nalesnik-2 wrote
> You could have the idea of proportionality, but relative to the width of
> the beam, so the line would always cross dead-center or a fixed distance
> below the beams, whether you have 1, 2, 3, .... That's doable, but a
> little
> annoying: get the number of beams, the space between beams, do some math.

I don't think that's really necessary, I think very often the slash is
already crossing the beams when it intercepts the stem (when there are too
many beams). Also, if the slash is set against a fixed point (connection
point of top beam and stem) then it's much easier to ensure it will always
look a certain way regardless of the angle of the beams, number of beams,
position of notes, etc. That's for instance how Sibelius handles slashed
graces if my memory serves well (it has been ages since I migrated to
LilyPond...): the slash crosses only the very corner of the beams, so it's
easy for it to look consistent regardless of other variables. See:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n184309/sib_grace.png>