Re: Chord names

From: timmcn
Subject: Re: Chord names
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:15:29 -0600

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 7:13 PM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>> Sus chords do not resolve to a diatonic major or minor in quartal harmony
>> for example, so for Lilypond to assume there is a resolution to a major or
>> minor triad would be unwise.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> But to imply that Am(sus) or Am(sus4) has no meaning ignores the reality of
> composition, performance, and harmonic motion.

Perhaps, but as a sus chord has no 3rd- and thus is not major or minor-
specifying it as maj(sus) or min(sus) would be confusing in performance (note
that I play jazz and it is not uncommon to receive a chart about 5 seconds
before downbeat.  Anything can be explained and resolved in rehearsal, of
course).

Given an Am(sus) chord on a chart I would wonder whether the composer wants a
suspended chord (A D E) or a triad with a 4th- or much more likely 11th- added
(A C E D).  Adding the maj or min specifier adds confusion because I am forced
to second-guess compositional intent in real time.  The inclusion of the C
could be consonant or dissonant- if, for example, the melody note is a B in the
same octave then there is a minor 2nd- and either effect may be desired.

With the chord Asus I am sure that the notes A D E are called for.  I can tell
from the rest of the music what the function of the chord is and what the
resolution will be.