Re: Property/ies to control the shape of ties/slurs

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Property/ies to control the shape of ties/slurs
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:41:09 +0100

Am 23.11.2015 um 10:49 schrieb Noeck:
> Hi Urs,
>
> you probably know these pages:
>
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/slur
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/slur_002dinterface
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/tie
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/tie_002dinterface
>
> It looks to me like the Slur.details or the ratio could be a way to
> tweak slur shapes in general. However, for me it would be a lot of
> guessing and try-and-error to find out what the effects are.
>
> For me your example looked like you want to make the vertical extend
> larger, 'ratio' had a promising description but I could not see any effect.

Actually the description suggests that the steepness at the edges should
be changed, something like

 ___
|   |

instead of

 ___
/   \

for a higher ratio. But as you I didn't see any noticeable difference  -
and it wouldn't be what I need.

height-limit is actually much closer, and I don't know how I could
manage to misread its description.

Unfortunately I don't seem to find a setting that is completely
satisfying. If I increase height-limit by a value that has the desired
effect on the long ties I showed in the images it makes the shorter ties
way too high.

I have the impression that in addition to height-limit we should have a
property that doesn't operate on the absolute height of the tie but on
the relative slope, so longer ties are allowed to be higher than shorter
ones.

I think for now (the current project) I'll try to find a setting that
matches *most* cases and tweak the others manually. There are pretty few
ones in this score so it'll be OK. But maybe this really is a feature
request for a new property?

Best
Urs