Re: Testing requested: new manuscript viewer tool for Frescobaldi

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Testing requested: new manuscript viewer tool for Frescobaldi
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 23:36:28 +0100

On 14.11.2015 13:23, Klaus Blum wrote:
Is there any documentation out there that tells how to run a program from
git?
I have an Ubuntu installation, but no deeper Linux knowledge, so I've got no
idea what to do.

It is a feature of Python (in which frescobaldi is written) that a program needn’t be compiled/installed to be run. You need to 1. get the source files for frescobaldi and python-ly from <https://github.com/wbsoft>, either by downloading <https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/archive/manuscript-viewer.zip> and <https://github.com/wbsoft/python-ly/archive/master.zip> or using ‘git clone’ and checking out the ‘manuscript-viewer’ branch. 2. add the following three lines to ~/.bashrc, where path/to/python-ly and path/to/frescobaldi are the paths to the respective directories:
# add python-ly to PYTHONPATH
PYTHONPATH=path/to/python-ly:$PYTHONPATH
alias frescobaldi='path/to/frescobaldi/frescobaldi'
3. and then you can just run 'frescobaldi' on the command line to test the feature.

I hope that this is correct and will help; if there are any questions, feel free to ask.
Yours, Simon