Re: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:51:01 +0100

On 13.11.2015 17:19, Federico Bruni wrote:
Il giorno ven 13 nov 2015 alle 11:58, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I suggest (and if noone objects will do it)
renaming the "openlilylib" repository to "snippets"
-> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets
NOTE: This may require users to adapt their repository set-ups and LilyPond include path settings
creating a new repository
https://github.com/openlilylib/oll-core
where the stuff from /ly/_internal will be moved (reviewing a number of things along the way)

Regaring the location of the individual libraries, what would you consider best:
adding all beside oll-core
(keeping the option that anyone creates libraries in their own place)
creating a new openlilylib sibling organization for that purpose
Just have library maintainers maintain their repos in their own namespace (providing a central listing of available libraries in some place, of course)

I would avoid confusion and keep a single organization.

The first option is the best IMO. I don't see the benefit of keeping the libraries in separate places. Libraries are the core content of openlilylib, not an additional feature (like e.g. an editor plugin).

The idea behind the new setup would be that the only ‘core’ content of openlilylib is some basic infrastructure, such as is contained in /ly/_internal. Every library can be used independently and arbitrarily, so they don’t make up any ‘core’.

It's all plain text files, the size of the repository won't be big.

Well, the memory size has never been the point, I think. It’s rather the difficulty of maintaining and managing a potentially great number of libraries, if e.g. everybody with push access to any of the libraries can push to all the other libraries too.

Yours, Simon