Re: A command-line wrapper for OpenLilyLIb

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A command-line wrapper for OpenLilyLIb
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:46:17 +0100

Am 05.11.2015 um 18:27 schrieb Matteo Ceccarello:
> On 04/11/2015 15:23, Mark Knoop wrote:
>>
>> You might consider using the pygit2 python module [1] rather than
>> calling calling git with subprocess. This could perhaps replace a
>> substantial part of your OpenLilyLibRepo class.
>>
>> [1] http://www.pygit2.org/
>
> Thank you for the pointer, I was not aware of that library. The thing
> is that using pygit2 would require users to install it along with
> ollc. Instead, I'd rather prefer the script to be as self-contained as
> possible, depending only on the python standard library, in order to
> make its installation as straightforward as possible.

I think this is the right approach.

With regard to the script I have a few comments/suggestions:

It would be nice if the tool could be used to *only* update the
openLilyLib versions without actually running LilyPond. This would be
useful in cases where you usually use editors (like Frescobaldi) to
invoke LilyPond and to create the actual command line to be used. And in
cases where `lilypond` is not the invocation to be used. I'm
specifically talking of my use of Frescobaldi, but I'm sure this holds
for many other users as well.

Maybe it would be cool if ollc could be made accessible as a module too.
That way external tools could integrate it more easily (e.g. have
Frescobaldi call it to set openLilyLib to the right state.

Best
Urs