Re: Text-spanner text repeated at start of line

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Text-spanner text repeated at start of line
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 11:39:38 -0600

Hi David,

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM, David Sumbler <address@hidden> wrote:
I have now got around to trying to use
text-spanner-inner-text-lyric-mode.ly, as suggested by Pierre.

The basic concept is great, but I am having a few difficulties (some of
which may be to do with the fact that I have never used \lyricmode
before).

It has been suggested that a Tempo spanner might be useful eventually.
That would certainly have helped me, because I want "accelerando
molto----al----Vivace (𝅗𝅥=138)" to appear in each of the four parts of
the string quartet, but only once in the score.  I have got around this
problem for now by using tags named "forScore" and forPart".

My second problem is that I want upright, bold text - the style that is
usually used for tempo markings.  Unfortunately, I have not found a way
of doing this, other than using \markup \upright \bold for each distinct
part of the text, thus:

\addTextSpannerText \lyricmode {
        \markup \upright \bold "accelerando molto" --
        \markup \upright \bold al --
        \markup \upright \bold "Vivace (2 = 138)" }

I can't help feeling that there must be a way of formatting lyrics
globally, but I haven't managed to find it in the manual yet.

In this case you'd need to address the TextSpanner grob.  Check the properties here: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/textspanner
Listed is a 'font-shape property, set by default to 'italic.  So all you'd need to do is:
\override TextSpanner.font-shape = #'upright

TextSpanner supports the font-interface which has the property 'font-series and you could set that to bold:
\override TextSpanner.font-series = #'bold
(See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/font_002dinterface)

The third problem is the minim for the tempo marking at the end.  I
can't use \note #"2", because that will be treated as a separate markup
and be spaced away from "Vivace(" and "= 138)".

Is there a way of achieving what I want?

Sure.  You'd just need to use \concat or some such.  There may be a special "format a markup like a tempo" function somewhere that you could use, but my memory fails me.

Hope this helps,
DN