Re: ottavation function

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: ottavation function
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 22:27:22 +0100

On 30.10.2015 22:01, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
Hi Simon, thanks for the improvements, I knew my function was utterly
inefficient but I have a hard time with Scheme.

I’ve had that too, but it gets better :-)

  Just two things about this
all:

Which modifications to your function should I do if I want to have only a
"8" text, without the "va"? Maybe we could create a \ottavation-no-text for
that.

Simply comment out (i.e. prefix with a ‘;’) the line
‘#:raise (if upward? 0.6 0) text’
(should be line 22).
Or use the attached version, where you can adjust the ‘display-ottavation-suffix’ variable at the beginning.

Second thing, try this code:

\relative c'' {
   R1*7
   \ottavation #1 c8 \ottavation #0 d, d d d d d d
}

It will output only "8va" without the vertical line. I believe that,
according to Gould, we always need to have the vertical "hook" in the end of
an 8va,

That has been extensively discussed already; I think there is a tracker issue also. Personally, I disagree with Gould here.
Anyway, it is only marginally related.

Yours, Simon