Re: My finances for working on LilyPond

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: My finances for working on LilyPond
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:19:16 +0200

Il giorno gio 22 ott 2015 alle 23:09, Urs Liska <address@hidden> ha scritto:
As to sponsoring individual features there is a tradition (?) of
bounties. You can ask for a feature or report a bug that annoys you
personally on the bug-lilypond mailing list and say that you are willing to spend X Dollars or Euro or whatever. You may find someone who chimes
in, sometimes other users chime in to increase the bounty. But I can't
say how successful these things have been in the past and what the
chances are to get "the" specific thing done one has in mind.

In 6 years I've been following LilyPond I've never seen a bounty having success. None of the issues marked with Bounty label is closed, which seems to confirm my feeling.

We have currently 19 open issues marked as Bounty:
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/search?q=labels%3A%22Bounty%22+AND+!status%3Aclosed+AND+!status%3AVerified+AND+!status%3ADuplicate

Obviously, bounties are more likely to attract interested donators, who know what they are paying for and that it will be useful for them. I know that it is more complicated for a number of reasons.. but why not even 1 bounty in 6 years (unless I missed something) worked out?

Now to David: I don't think your report should be interpreted like users
"have stopped being happy with" your work. I think it should be
interpreted as "a significant number of people who did pay something in
the past don't do that anymore. And others didn't fill the gap."

People may stop donating money for any number of reasons. OK, not being
happy with your work is one possible reason but I'm sure it's not the
reason of a majority of these people. The issue is: the type of income
stream that you are after doesn't keep its level on its own. If you want to keep (or even increase) it you *have* to do constant advertising. And I think the last time we heard about the fact that you even *have* this
sponsoring scheme was in 2013. I know it's hard to ask for money, even
when you do that in exchange for an actual value. But without it won't
just work out on itself.

I agree, but I think that we can easily improve the situation. A few simple ideas:

1) DOWNLOAD PAGE
What's the most viewed page in the website (excluding the home)? Probably the download page:
http://lilypond.org/website/download.html

Let's add there a big Note saying something like: "Our most active main developer David Kastrup is working full-time on LilyPond development and need your support to make a living. If you use and love LilyPond, please allow David to continue his precious work by contributing whatever amount of money you can afford. [link to Community>Sponsoring page]"

2) SPONSORING PAGE
I can guess without looking at 'git log' that the sponsoring page was written by Graham :-) It does not encourage any donation, right? The feeling is very different from what we are reading in many replies in this thread. Maybe it's time to change it a little bit?

3) GITSTATS
The gitstats linked in the sponsoring pages are a great idea but they are out-of-date (november 2012). Any chance to keep them up-to-date automatically?
Also, I'd rather link to the Authors tab:
http://lilypond.org/~graham/gitstats-3months/AUTHORS.html

gitstats is just a python script. Who has access to the server may just set up a cron job to create the stats every X days:
https://github.com/hoxu/gitstats/blob/master/doc/INSTALL