Re: Updating library code

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Updating library code
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:53:10 +0200

[description of the problem of refactoring and code consistency in
lilpond libs - snipped ]

> So in essence what we need is a convert-ly-like tool for openLilyLib,
> either as an independent tool or by somehow hooking into convert-ly
> itself. Quite some time ago I opened an issue about this and would now
> like to get some opinions, ideas and experiences how *you* deal with the
> topic.
>
> Please reply here or add to
> https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/issues/87.

In software development this is a well known problem and AFAIA there
does not exists a solution to this problem in total. However there are
quite a few guidelines to help reducing the issues that may arise.

Among them are:
- modularisation: whatever sequence of commands is used regularly in
   various files should be moved into a function/macro. That way any
   adjustment needs to be done just once and in one place only.
- external (from the perspective of a LP installation) functions that
   are likely to change should be encapsulated in a wrapper function. Again
   the benefit is that adjustments need to be done just once.
- one might wish for function prototypes and/or function signatures in
   lilypond such that the compiler/parser could better flag illegal use
   of functions and/or macros. At least for me the current error diagnostics
   do not always point me to the cause of the error. It sometimes takes
   me quite some time to understand what actually went wrong (but that
   may be just me - more experienced lilyponder might have a different
   mileage)

Kind regards,
Michael
--