Re: multiple TextSpanners per voice

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: multiple TextSpanners per voice
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:28:25 -0500

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Trevor Bača <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to add that I'm *incredibly* excited by this work. The ability to
> have multiple text spanners in a voice -- and to tweak each independently
> -- is something I've wanted in LilyPond for many years. (I responded to a
> different thread about this a touch too early only moments ago; apologies,
> catching up on list mail.) This is really incredibly exciting to me, and I
> think it will be to very many other composers once the ability is made
> clear in a public release (and in the docs).
>
> For what it's worth, I'd very much like to request the promotion of this
> work to a fully acknowledged new feature (respecting, of course, the needs
> of feature sequencing in the release process).
>
> I'm not quite sure what the best (user) interface for this is. I suppose
> \startTextSpan[One|Two|Three|Four] will work. Though it seems like
> \startTextSpan #1 or \startTextSpan #"fancy-spanner-name" would be a more
> complete generalization of the feature.

\=1\startTextSpan ... \=1\endTextSpan already work as a user interface.
It's just that there is nothing that would actually _heed_ the settings
of "spanner-id" achieved in that manner yet.

This works wonderfully well as an interface with the engraver I posted.  Thank you so much!  Now it is possible to remove all the extra definitions of \startTextSpanEightyFour and the like.

See attached.

DN