Re: Frescobaldi creates the pdf but doesn't export it?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi creates the pdf but doesn't export it?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:42:15 -0500

Quoting Urs Liska (address@hidden):
> Am 12.10.2015 um 07:58 schrieb Wilbert Berendsen:
> > Op Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:48:39 +0200
> > Urs Liska <address@hidden> schreef:
> >
> >> The only way out of that would be if LilyPond could learn to take its
> >> input from stdin. Which might be a nice thing anyway?
> > I think LilyPond can :-)
> >
> > http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/command_002dline-usage#invoking-lilypond
>
> Oops, I *knew* I should have looked that up before commenting.

man lilypond   for 2.18.2 doesn't give any indication that you can
input through stdin. You have to delve into   info lilypond   which
I tend to forget to do. (linux version)

> But that's not a solution (to the not-really-existing problem) either:
>
> cmd-test$ cat input.ly | lilypond -
> »-« wird verarbeitet
> Analysieren...
> Interpretation der Musik...
> Vorverarbeitung der grafischen Elemente...
> Ideale Seitenanzahl wird gefunden...
> Musik wird auf eine Seite angepasst...
> Systeme erstellen...
> Layout nach »/tmp/lilypond-yXTVDZ« ausgeben...
> Konvertierung nach »-.pdf«...
> Deleting `/tmp/lilypond-yXTVDZ'...
> Kompilation erfolgreich beendet
>
> Obviously LilyPond will save stdin to a temporary file itself and not
> process it in-memory. [...]

Not here. The only difference I can see between reading from a file
and from stdin is that stdin reads only 4096 bytes at a time. This is
true even where stdin is connected to the file (ie   lilypond - < file.ly
rather than   cat file.ly | lilypond -   as above) so lilypond knows
the length of the file.

Cheers,
David.