Re: Percussion Notation

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Percussion Notation
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 06:35:55 +0200

Am 07.10.2015 um 02:57 schrieb Spencer Raybourne:
Could someone please explain Lilypond percussion notation vs. Standard
percussion notation (if there is such a thing). I have seen several examples in
books that are different from Lilypond.

There seems to be no such thing like a standard. Some things are mostly agreed on (normal note heads in lowest space of the staff for bass drum, same in the third-to-lowest for snare drum…) but some things aren’t (how to write toms and cymbals and various other instruments, write chords or polyphonic (or mix it), how to write the equivalent of fingerings for hands R/L (I don’t know a better term)). Timpani rolls can be notated as (stem) tremolo (c1:32) or as trill or trill spanner, rolls across several bars with or without ties (though one timpanist I talked to prefers tremolo and ties).

I’m not a percussionist but that’s my impression after talking to some percussionists/drummers.

I’m sure it is possible to get LilyPond to use a different notation but since I’ve never done that I don’t know how.