Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)

From: Michael Rivers
Subject: Re: How write cross-staff slur (in combination with lyrics)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:23:10 -0700 (MST)

This isn't meant to be sung by a singer. This is from a beginner's piano
method (I'm a piano teacher). The words are to give a sense of the stress in
the meter, to give the player an idea of the mood of the piece, and possibly
for the player to sing along. The slurs, though, are entirely for the
pianist and have nothing to do with the lyrics. I don't really have an
opinion if it is a good idea to introduce young musicians to non-standard
notation. Personally, my students and I pretty much ignore the texts (which
are usually of poor quality anyway) and play as it were a normal piano
score.