Re: Box around multiple markups

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Box around multiple markups
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 16:45:02 -0500

Hi Urs,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David,

thank you very much!

You're welcome!

Am 26.09.2015 um 01:25 schrieb David Nalesnik:
Hi,

To do what you want, it would be best of course to have a new grob.

Defining new grobs has no user interface at the moment.  There is a regression text, input/regression/scheme-text-spanner.ly which does define one in an LY file.

I modeled the attached after that.  I've got the dashed boxes.

Did you do that *now* or have you pulled that out from some earlier work???

The regression test was originally written by Mike Solomon.

As far as boxes go, I've worked on them from time to time (and all but given up).  I didn't base this on earlier stuff, partly because I didn't have the patience to try to find the earlier files, and partly because I didn't need to add very much to the model.  (Mostly, I just added a stencil function and changed a few names.)

I didn't tackle the bracket-with-inner-prong(s)--maybe someone would like to give it a go?

What would also be very sufficient would be the same dashed box, only nested. However, I didn't manage to get that to work, even with additional helper voices.
What will work for this time is the slur you can see in the image. I didn't get it to behave properly above the texts but it will do.

This is too late, unfortunately, but maybe you'll get some use out of the attached.

The only way I could see to get nested boxes was to incorporate the idea of 'spanner-id.  I approximated your design by using a nested box with some changed attributes.  The property 'box-faces is used to hide sides of the box.  The 'box-dimension-offset property is used to give room for the line.

(Oh, I made \boxSpanStart and the like into post-events so they're like \startTextSpan, etc.

Very much so.
The only thing still lacking for now is the box around the synchronuous items on the lyrics lines. The way to go for such a thing is probably to collect all syllables, then combine all objects at the same musical moment
then draw boxes around them.

Yes.  You could do something like what I did here, but in this case an engraver which creates an Item rather than a Spanner.

Best,
David