Re: proportional notation problem

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: proportional notation problem
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:59:30 +1000

Hi Neil.

That can’t be the way to do it, even though it works. In pure principle, it’s way too much code complexity for the simplicity required. Just plain inelegant. Playing with your example, it is clear that lilypond is doing its maximum best to avoid a collision between the ledger lines and the accidentals of the note group in question. I tried using proportional notation on the example, but for me, it never really gets these issues right, no matter what duration you choose for the moment. Lilypond is so skilful at avoiding collisions that it always seems difficult to get it to behave otherwise. In the New Complexity School style music  I engrave, this issue comes up all the time, and the composer I work with is a stickler for the proportional notation being right, so I have a similar interest in this issue.

List gurus, what is the proper way to achieve the desired spacing in this case?

Andrew