How to correctly compile the Messiah from Neuvar's Site.

From: Michael Dykes
Subject: How to correctly compile the Messiah from Neuvar's Site.
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 23:21:22 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I am needing help correctly compiling Handel's Messiah from the following
website:

http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/index.php/2009/06/20/40

When I get into the scores.ily and attempt to just compile them I get so many
errors:

error: unknown escaped string: `\instrumentName'

error: unrecognized string, not in text script or \lyricmode

etc.

So, I thought I should go into the file folder marked "common" and start
compiling there. It was going fine until I got to the file marked
"layout.ily" and then I get the error message:

error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here

the expression being:

#(define-public *paper-size* (make-parameter 'a4))

Am I even compiling his .ily files correctly as I have never compiled .ily
files? Forgive me if I should already know how to do this. I typically use
Frescobaldi to compile all my lily files. Thanks so much!