Re: Polyphonic repeats with lyrics (and rests)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Polyphonic repeats with lyrics (and rests)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 19:21:35 +0200

On 21.09.2015 19:04, David Wright wrote:
Quoting Simon Albrecht (address@hidden):
On 19.09.2015 06:18, David Wright wrote:
I noticed some erroneous alto lyrics invading recent CPDL editions of
Farmer's Fair Phyllis. I think the cause was some overenthusiastic
factoring of the lyrics using tagging. So I thought I'd run up a copy
myself, producing folded/unfolded scores from one source file.

However I found, like others, that repeat barlines and voltas popped up
all over the place as soon as I entered the lyrics into the correct
structure. The Notation reference manual is not much help because none
of its examples involves either rests or more than one vocal line.

While none of the workarounds I've found on the web does the job
satisfactorily, I think it's unduly pessimistic to say, "Unfortunately
there is no clear recipe for entering lyrics and repeats which will
work in all circumstances, as all the suggestions are work-arounds due
to there being no well-defined interface in LilyPond for handling
repeats in lyrics."
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-03/msg00866.html
It isn’t unduly pessimistic, but realistic. The ‘right’ example you
gave is pretty good except that it doesn’t work with \lyricsto.
Nor \addlyrics.

addlyrics is known to be unreliable and messy in all but the most simple situations, but it might use the same mechanism as lyricsto here.

  It seems to me (not looking at the code) that, in
their search for notes to attach syllables to, both these commands
could keep a tally of rests they've skipped over in order to then
"push" the repeat mark back to the place where it belongs (which the
\relative { ... } section knows all about). That's all *I'm* after.

I can’t comment on internals, as I know them too little. But you’re welcome send a feature request to address@hidden, including a concise example of what you think is wrong now, and how it should behave instead.

Yours, Simon