Re: Ancient tab, letters alignment.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Ancient tab, letters alignment.
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:52:35 +0200

Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> I need to get an ancient tab with a standard markup alignment instead of
> the default vertical one.
> Unfortunately, this code has no effect:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> #(define-public
>   (my-fret-letter-tablature-format context string-number fret-number)
>  (let ((labels (ly:context-property context 'fretLabels)))
>   ;; changed from make-vcenter-markup
>   ;; has no effect:
>   (make-simple-markup
>    (cond
>     ((= 0 (length labels))
>      (string (integer->char (+ fret-number (char->integer #\a)))))
>     ((and (<= 0 fret-number) (< fret-number (length labels)))
>      (list-ref labels fret-number))
>     (else
>      (ly:warning "No label for fret ~a (on string ~a); only ~a fret labels
> provided"
>                  fret-number string-number (length labels))
>        ".")))))

[...]

> Any idea?

I'll create a patch making this less hard-wired.  I'm not sure about
what our default should be, however.

I checked some lute tablature I had here as part of a partitura in order
to see what alignment is appropriate.  Good grief.  In the lute tab, the
letters were not crossing the staff lines but were _above_ them.
Alignment was definitely _centered_ vertically rather than on a
baseline.  Except for the letters on the top line: those were either
baseline-adjusted, or bottom-aligned (hard to say but probably the
latter).  Good grief.  I certainly hope that this tab (1953) was not
representative.

--
David Kastrup