Re: Violin notation advice requested

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Violin notation advice requested
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:34:26 +0100

No, It's quite common to indicate the string by Roman numerals. Printed music would hardly ever indicate position, but it is normal to see either "sul G" or "IV".

On 19 Sep 2015 12:31, "Ralph Palmer" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Michael Gerdau <address@hidden> wrote:
> No, both are fingerings.

 I've never seen a
violin fingering indicating the string.

I have seen violin and viola fingerings indicating the string, but I agree that it is infrequent and usually the string is indicated by letter, not number. I have, however, seen the string indicated by number, though I cannot remember where.

All the best,

Ralph

--
Ralph Palmer