Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:25:48 +0200

For sure Hancock is giving the sus some specific "colour". I just listend Maiden Voyage and I am sure he always play a powerchord root doubled and a 5 with his left hand, not a complete triad. Nothing strange for modal jazz. And a 7sus chord with the right hand. Not shure, but it sounds like 7sus2 or more likely 7sus9? Anyway, the unresolved sus is the key of that Hancock sound.