Re: restrainOpenStrings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: restrainOpenStrings
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 12:33:21 +0200

BB <address@hidden> writes:

> If one interprets the text of the manual the line
> \set TabStaff.restrainOpenStrings = ##t
> powers up the not really perfect working
> \set TabStaff.minimumFret = #1
> to work as one would expect by simply interpreting the text implies.

Huh?

I quote:

       Even when ‘minimumFret’ is set, open strings are used whenever
    possible.  This behaviour can be changed by setting
    ‘restrainOpenStrings’ to ‘#t’.

> But that does not depreciate the basic question about the logik. One
> might extend the logik question  to ask why \set TabStaff.minimumFret
> = #1 does not do what one would expect spontaneous from the
> statement. The question why \set TabStaff.restrainOpenStrings = ##t
> does not do what one would expect spontaneous  from the statement.
>
> Anyway, as I just pointed out - I can live with this
> contradictories. So simply let me annul my question.

There is no contradiction.  If you are playing around the fifth fret,
you can perfectly well still use empty strings.  So there is a separate
setting to stop that, like if you are playing barred.

I find absolutely nothing in the documentation that would suggest any
"contradiction" or whatever else.  Please quote any passages that would
make you think otherwise.

--
David Kastrup