Re: [OT] gmail: not able to paste code

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: [OT] gmail: not able to paste code
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 12:53:21 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> jEdit is available for
>>> Windows
>>> Unix/Linux
>>> Mac OS X
>>> VMS
>>> So, Windows is not a hindrance to use jEdit. jEdit needs Java, also
>>> available for all platforms.
>>>
>>> Actual version is jEdit 5.2. I actually do not use jEdit, I stopped it about
>>> 20 years ago as the future development was doubtful.
>>>
>>> I use Linux mint in the actual version on different Hardware. Sometimes I
>>> have problems pasting something into my mails. Seldom - not frequently. Till
>>> now I could not find any rules for copy/paste not working ...
>>> If I copy to an ASCII editor first and from there to my mails it is working.
>>
>> Yes, this works, ofc
>> But is terrible regarding the workflow

Meanwhile I reinstalled jEdit and changed java:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_36"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.13.8) (6b36-1.13.8-0ubuntu1~14.04)

No success, at least neither Ctrl+c Ctrl+v nor via mouse-menu

> Did you press C-c for copy and C-v for paste (that's via the clip board
> I think, possibly requiring some sort of clipboard manager in your
> desktop environment)?  The other way is marking with mouse-drag-1 and
> pasting with middle-mouse: that one goes via the X selection mechanism.

via middle-mouse it worked finally (I forgot to test this method)

Though, I have not the slightest idea what changed and why

> Hopefully one of those two will work.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Thanks a lot to all,