Re: Part of Key signature in bracket

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Part of Key signature in bracket
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:32:44 +0200

Hello Andreas,

Am 10.09.2015 um 19:38 schrieb Andreas Stenberg:
Hi!

I'm editing an 18-th century piece with several voices and "movements" where the source; an early print, has a printing error for the first movement of the piece. In all the Voices for that movement the key is given as G-major when it obviously should be D- major as in the rest of the movements.

In the Baroque period it was still fairly common to allude to church modes in key signature, e.g. – d ‘minor’ without a flat or { \key d \dorian } (also with other minor keys)
– e ‘minor’ without a sharp or { \key e \phrygian }.
From this point of view, I think (without knowing the exact context of course) it’s possible that it was not by mistake that the editor wrote { \key g \mixolydian }.

But this doesn’t impede the editorial decision to use two sharps in your print. (It might lead to confusion with ambiguous notes, though.)

Is there any way to get a bracket on the c- sharp in the key signature for D - major?

With LilyPond, all things are possible! It just depends on the amount of programming involved… In this case, the actual programming has already been done by David Nalesnik (kudos!) for the thread starting here <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-08/msg00373.html>: providing an alternative print routine for KeySignature (and KeyCancellation, which you’re likely not going to need), which allows individual handling of the accidentals.
I modified this such that it doesn’t do coloring, but parenthesizing.

Yours, Simon