Re: Gallery of Interesting Music Notation

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Gallery of Interesting Music Notation
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:21:46 -0700 (MST)

On 8/31/2015 1:33 PM, Steve Lacy [via Lilypond] wrote:
I found this fascinating:

http://homes.soic.indiana.edu/donbyrd/InterestingMusicNotation.html

I wonder if anyone here (or elsewhere) has tried to engrave some of these, even as musical fragments?  I'm sure it would be an eye-opening process. :)

Here's Schumann's quadruple-dotted passage (arguably one of the easiest ones there):

When engraved with 2.18.2, it had a problem with the third and fourth measures, compacting the horizontal space of very last notes between staves so they ended up lining up when they are not to be played at the same musical moment. Any of the latest unstable versions worked without a hitch. Only a few manual direction overrides were necessary on a few beams/slurs to recreate the original. I couldn't resist using the Haydn stylesheet :-)

The triple-sharp snippet should be possible by extending the note-names to include them (by default, the lists only extends to double-flats/sharps).

The floating clef snippet can be created by following the instructions in this snippet in the LSR: http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=326

The hidden triplet markings is a piece of cake by using \omit TupletNumber right before the desired starting point.

- Abraham