Re: vertical spacing of rests

From: Peter Selinger
Subject: Re: vertical spacing of rests
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:39:44 -0300 (ADT)

Phil Holmes wrote:

> [...]

Did you see his output? What struck me as strange is not that the
rests were shifted in increments of half a staff line - that is to be
expected.

What is strange, however, is that for all rests longer than a quarter,
voiced-position = 3 has the same effect as voiced-position = 2 (i.e.,
they are *not* shifted the final odd step), and voiced-position = 5 has
the same effect as voiced-position = 4. Also, for multi-measure rests,
voiced-position > 2 seems to have no effect whatsoever; they don't go
any higher than voiced-position = 2.

This behavior seems internally inconsistent. Even if we take for
granted that odd voiced-position shifts are probably not very common,
it is still concerning that there is one behavior for shifts <= 2, a
different behavior for shifts > 2, and finally that the behavior is
different for each kind of rest (<= quarter, >= half, and
multi-measure each behave differently, but only when voiced-position
> 2).

Perhaps this is a bug in the voiced-position implementation?

-- Peter