Re: Tuplet Bracket and \fermataMarkup

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tuplet Bracket and \fermataMarkup
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:06:07 +0200

Blöchl Bernhard <address@hidden> writes:

>> Am 14.08.2015 07:29, schrieb:
>>> Hello,
>>>   I'm setting my first piece using Lilypond, and I've run into one
>>> problem I
>>> can't solve.  The piece is unmetered, and it has several long, timed
>>> rests.
>>> I have the music looking almost the way I would like except the tuplet
>>> bracket collides with the fermata.  Changing staff priority seems to
>>> have no
>>> effect.
>>>
>>> I am open to alternative notation suggestions.  I could just get
>>> ride of the
>>> fermata altogether.
>>>
>>> \version "2.18.2"
>>>
>>>  \relative c {
>>>     \omit Staff.TimeSignature
>>>     \once \override TupletNumber.text = "~ 25 sec."
>>>     \once \set tupletFullLength = ##t
>>>     \once \set tupletFullLengthNote = ##f
>>>     \once \override MultiMeasureRestText #'outside-staff-priority =
>>> #'200
>>>     \hideNotes
>>>   <<\tuplet 3/2 {c2 c c}R1\fermataMarkup>>
>>>   \unHideNotes
>>>   }
>
> Is that a joke code?

>From looking at the code, I don't understand what the OP is trying to do
here.  It still is a reasonably safe assumption that it was not intended
as a joke.  Maybe he can explain a bit more?  It looks like he is trying
to trick LilyPond into doing something, and there might be a way to get
it to do it without tricks, leading to more reliable results.

> As I was a young internet user it was usual to answer such with RTFM.

Ah, to be young in such interesting times...  When I was young, the
Internet was too small to be useful.  And there was no manual anyway.
If you needed to figure something out about software, you could always
use a disassembler if the source code was not around.  Or write a letter
with return postage to someone you knew to be helpful.

LilyPond indeed has a manual, and it seems rather unlikely that the OP
would have gotten just as far as he did with his first piece using
LilyPond without taking quite a bit more than a passing glance at it.
The manual shows you how to do a lot of things but sometimes it is hard
to guess just what combination of things might be a good and what might
be a bad idea for getting somewhere.

When you have all the information but piece it together for some task in
a manner that's not the best idea, the manual won't tell you.

Fortunately, LilyPond has a helpful mailing list where people are
willing to share their experience and explain the subtleties.

Let's keep it that way.

--
David Kastrup