Re: sharping naturals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: sharping naturals
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:36:42 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> So it is pretty much established that the music-based approach comes
>> with a healthy load of problems, and the input language based
>> approach, while condensing most of the problems in one place, makes
>> source code management a headache because each source code passage
>> comes with its own associated input language.
>
> Well, I will not work on such a patch. I already had a hard time to
> understand the thinking behind the proposal.

It's not all that hard to do.  Just let \key run through the current
notename language and replace all single-character note names with the
setting from the new key (Germans would likely be furious about what
this does to b but then they are hardly the target for such a change).

Once you start arranging your input in variables (\global anyone?), work
with multiple voices and transpositions, things will start to fall
apart.

Even things like \transpose c f become ambiguous since they could mean
\transpose cn fs when uttered in \key gn \major.

> Though, at a lower level one could start adding a snippet to the LSR
> so that users can play around with it. Rale mentioned some, but
> refused to post links...

s/refused/omitted/.  I cannot remember anybody asking for such links
yet, so one can hardly accuse him of "refusing".

--
David Kastrup