Re: sharping naturals

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: sharping naturals
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:36:41 +0200

When you use key signatures like A major or B Major you end
up with a lot of naturals in the score for which you may
have to manually add sharps.

Is there a switch that will automatically sharp all the
naturals?

David, in a previous thread some time ago on a similar topic I think I recall that you mentioned that this may be better seen as an editor task than a task for LilyPond.

In Frescobaldi (since v 2.18) there is a tool (Tools->Pitch->Mode shift) that adjusts the pitch to a given mode or scale. I just realized that this may be able to accomplish the above:

If you enter:

  b c d e f g a

and use the Mode shift tool with the mode b major the result will be:

  b cis dis e fis gis ais

As mentioned before (in this thread), the problems start if you actually do not want some of the notes to be sharpened. Then of course you'll have to adjust this manually! But with a piece with only a few exceptionds to the given key it may be worth while to use this method...

Best
Peter