Re: Macro or abbreviation

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Macro or abbreviation
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:20:24 +0200

> Hello Ponderers,
>
> It seems the topic of macros and abbreviations in lilypond source comes up
> from time to time and engenders all sorts of complex debate, so I am
> slightly wary of asking this question.
>
> I need to say:
>
> \tweak Accidental.stencil ##f
>
> in a very large number of chords, and often several times in one chord in my
> current large and complex score. The score is becoming cluttered with this
> repeated command, and it’s quite a lot of typing when you have so many to
> type. I naively tried to make this an event function, but that does not work
> inside a chord. [As an aside, it’s not a matter of changing the accidental
> style in use, dodecaphonic. I need to turn off selected accidentals in the
> dodecaphonic style when I join notes using a custom grace note slur function
> I have, that does not behave the same way as ‘proper’ slurs do.]
>
> Is there a way to make this into a macro, or abbreviate it in some way? I am
> not referring to making a keystroke macro in Frescobaldi, but a language
> level shorter form, for convenience. I hope this question does not trigger a
> torrent of comments saying this is a Bad Thing (TM).
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

you post your request on the user-list, thus I assume you don't ask
for extending the source code but for a custom solution.

In 2.18.2 you can do

omitAcc =
  #(define-music-function (parser location music) (ly:music?)
     #{ \tweak Accidental.stencil ##f $music #})

Thanks David Kastrup 2.19.24 allows for:

omitAcc = \tweak Accidental.stencil ##f \etc
{ < \omitAcc cis' ces'' > }

Cheers,
  Harm