Re: sharping naturals

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: sharping naturals
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:14:32 +0100

> On 23 Jul 2015, at 19:09, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> That’s true and I think that this is one of LilyPonds strengths as
>> it
>>> allows to be very flexible with transposing, quoting, changing key
>>> signatures etc.
>>
>> I think so too.
>> However, there *are* programs/formats that "think" differently. I know
>> of Amadeus an midt notably MEI where you basically write diwn what you
>> *see*. If not explicitly altered the actual pitch is determined by the
>> key signature.
>
> presumably not just the key signature but also any preceding altered
> pitches in the same bar. Denemo allows this method of entry by default,
> for a series of f-sharps in a bar only the first needs a keypress to say
> it is a sharp, subsequent presses of the key "f" enter f-sharps, until
> the end of the bar. Of course, it emits the (more verbose) fis syntax
> for each note, but it saves typing on entry.
>
> Richard

It seems to me that the replies so far are missing the OP’s underlying
misunderstanding of the way in which Lilypond interprets the pitches that are
entered.

G natural is entered thus:      { g }
G sharp is entered thus:                { gis }
G flat is entered thus:         { ges }

(assuming the default Dutch convention for sharps and flats).

Following a key signature such as G major, the G natural will have no
accidental, but the other two will have sharp and flat signs.

In the case of A major, G natural will have a natural sign, the G sharp will
have no accidental and the G flat with have a flat sign.

Similarly if the key signature says G flat major, the G natural and G sharp
will each have an accidental, and the G flat will have none.

So the rule is that you enter your music as if the key signature were C major,
and Lilypond will display the music correctly if you subsequently choose a
different key signature.

Michael