Re: organizing orchestral music

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: organizing orchestral music
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:00:02 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 25. Juni 2015 um 11:35:18 Uhr (+0200) schrieb Gergely K.:
> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to engrave orchestral music, one sheet for violinist, cellist and
> one for conductor.
>
> I'd like to have the following structure:
> base.ly -- name and time signature of the music
> violin1.ly -- when opened in frescobaldi, should engrave violin1.ly
> main.ly -- when opened in frescobaldi, should engrave conductor's sheet
>
> So my question: can I declare in violin1.ly, that if that is the main ly,
> it should engrave violin1, and if not, it should not engrave anything? (In
> that case it will be included from main.ly)

I don't know of a simple solution for that problem. I would suggest to
use the canonical way to completely separate the layout files from the
music files. So you'd come up with 3 files:

violin-music.ly (containing the music only)
violin.ly (containing the part layout and including violin-music.ly)
score.ly (containing the score layout and including violin-music.ly)

IMHO the extra file is well worth the gained clarity and flexibility
for fine-tuning score and part layout. In addition I keep layout files
and files containing the music in different directories.

--
Orm