Re: using python snippets in Lilypond

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: using python snippets in Lilypond
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 17:02:07 +0200

>Yes, you can use Python snippets in Frescobaldi, but not in the LilyPond code/score directly - instead they are created in a special Snippets editor.

So I create the python snippet - how do I then call it in the score?

I apologize if this is too basic of a question...

No I don't think it is too basic!

I guess it interesting to compare it with a Scheme snippet, if you like, inside the LilyPond code. A scheme snippet is basically compiled together with the rest of the LilyPond code and can extend that code.

With a Python snippet in Frescobaldi you can instead manipulate the LilyPond code to get the result you want. You don't call it from the score; you call it from the editor to change the score before it is compiled.

If it's changes you perform regularly on the score, a Snippet could conveniently be applied to a keyboard shortcut or to the Snippets menu - otherways you run it from the Snippets manager.

Hope that explains the basics! If you tell us more about what kind of snippet you want to run we could discuss this in more detail.

Best
Peter