Re: Help with Horizontal Compression!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Help with Horizontal Compression!
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 22:42:19 +0200

Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> some remarks:
> 1. Are you aware that it’s illegal what you’re doing? All of the works
> of Shostakovich are under copyright (almost?) everywhere on the world,
> see the note on
> <http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Shostakovich,_Dmitry>.

So?  That does not preclude him from making copies for personal use in
most jurisdictions in the world.

> So there is little point in typesetting his music, unless you intend
> to wait with publication until 2026 (Canada), 2046 (EU), and so on
> (matters are very complicated in the US).

> And posting examples on this list (which means publishing for what I
> know) is touchy at least, since depending on the size of the example
> it may be considered fair use or not.

The few measures we are talking about here, for the purpose of solving a
typesetting problem, would not be problematic as far as I can tell.

> 2. On your actual question: just go on typesetting (if you consider it
> useful…) and probably things will turn out properly on their own. With
> short scores like this, there often is no really good solution for
> breaking: it’s too much for one page, but too little for two pages.
> 3. If the problem should persist nevertheless, have a look at
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/fitting-music-onto-fewer-pages>.

In general, LilyPond tends to take up sizeable more space than scores by
experienced human engravers.

--
David Kastrup