Re: hairpins default stop at barline

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: hairpins default stop at barline
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:55:19 -0400

Hi Gianmaria,

> Does people really use this features? I mean does it happen
> frequently people set '\!' in a certain location expecting Lilypond render
> it at the bar line immediately preceding if the note which ends a hairpin
> falls on a downbeat?

Yes. I would estimate that 95% of the time, I use the default behaviour (i.e.,
stopping at the barline), as is also recommended by all respected notation
guides (e.g., Gould). In the remaining 5% of cases, I manually tweak the
behaviour.

> Another good reason to change would be if new users (like me)
> periodically pop up asking help about the hairpin position.

You’re the only one I remember asking about it in recent years.

If you want to change this — or any other default — for your scores, I would
recommend creating a file (named “Lilypond.ily”, or “default_override.ily”, or
similar), which you simply \include in all scores using (e.g.)

   \include “Lilypond.ily”

In that file, you can put things like

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f

and your scores will behave as you wish them to.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info