Re: Is Sibelius really as bad as this?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Is Sibelius really as bad as this?
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 18:09:01 +0200

Am 29.05.2015 um 17:05 schrieb Ali Cuota:
I would think (trying to think business) that tweaking a score in Sib
is faster than in lily.

What Kieren says here is true. But ...

So they receive any bad Sib and tweak it by
hand. (this appies to Fin and Sco too, in a less ergonomic manner).
It maybe easier to find experienced tweakers for these programs that
are older than lily. And they have these workers.
Now, change for lily tweakers would mean a change in personal and
contratists.

... I think this is even more important.

And for this change, the managers should express absolute
aesthetic requirement, but they first care for maximal rentability
(they have to).

Well, it's not a merely aesthetic requirement. There are functional advantages too in using LilyPond, and I can see from my conversations with staff from major publishers that they actually do realize this. But of course it's an issue to do *any* change if nobody can *guarantee* you it's going to pay of also economically within a very foreseeable time-span. And of course what they may feel is missing is a reliability in support. LilyPond isn't really an entity one can relate to. They may ask themselves: "who" is this LilyPond? Who will help us out when that one guy we're right now dealing with isn't available anymore or at the end of his wisdom?

These are issues that make it difficult to convince someone to switch.

Urs

(this will get worse with the free comerce agreement
between US and UE and consequent dispariton of subsidies for culture).
Lilypond and nice engraving is not vital to sell.
The solution is biologic...
Francois