Re: how to add barre indications to automatic fret diagrams?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: how to add barre indications to automatic fret diagrams?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 20:06:18 +0000

On 5/23/15 6:34 AM, "pls" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Here is another test case for your patch:
>
>\version "2.19.20"
>
><<
>  \new FretBoards {
>    <d-1 a c'-1 fis' a'-1>1
>    <g,-1 d f-1 b d'-1 g'-1>1
>    \transpose g a { <g,-1 d f-1 b d'-1 g'-1>1 }
>  }
>>>

>These chords can be played with one finger! ;)

So what do you recommend be done?

I can make it so no fingerings are added, and then diagrams that are not
completely fingered will show dots that have a finger of 0 (that's the way
I started).  It seemed to me that having a finger of 0 is confusing.
Also, by far the most common barre is with the first finger.  So allowing
an open chord to be transposed to a barre chord with a first finger barre
seemed useful.

I don't have an algorithm to figure out fingering.  The .ly file explains
exactly how the implemented fingering algorithm works.  It assumes that
multiple notes played on the same fret with no fingering should be
represented as a barre with the first finger.  That's all it does.

If the user specifies fingerings that don't work right with the algorithm,
they won't work right.

Maybe I should back the code back to where a barre will be indicated only
if the fingers are specified in the chord, and no barre will be generated
when an open chord is transposed.  That would be a straightforward fix.
It would never generate any surprising results, because it would only
generate barres that the user had entered by indicating that multiple
notes should be played with the same finger.

What do you think?

Carl