Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrum

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrument name?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:34:33 -0500

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David (et al.),

> This brings back the days of getting my dissertation--an orchestral composition--through all the final hoops.  Did the explicit requirement of 1.5\in at the left (if I remember correctly) include the instrument name or not?  There never was a conclusive answer.  You could see the varying interpretation in past scores.

Imagine a [beautiful, beautiful!] world where Lilypond is the standard engraving application, and the stylesheet system Urs and I are working on is complete…

A university (e.g.) could simply maintain/supply “approved thesis stylesheets” (one each for standard full orchestra, piano solo, string quartet, etc.), which would automagically output exactly what they wanted to see.

=)

Yes, this would be wonderful.  It would also be wonderful if I had known about LilyPond at the time.  I wouldn't have spent so many soul-crushing hours redoing so so many things after a layout change, finding inexplicably disappeared accidentals after a rebarring, individually positioning and repositioning page numbers.  Plus much of it was algorithmic.  A "version-control system" that consisted of saving lots of numbered files or printing. Oh, I don't want to think about it.

David