Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrum

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrument name?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:57:39 -0400

Hi David (et al.),

> Not sure what the best practice would be. After all, you do want the numbers
> you set for indent and short-indent to exactly match what you specify.

It depends on how you define “indent” and “short-indent”… or “margin”…  ;)

All kidding aside:

1. Perhaps there could be a switch — acting a bit like
PaperColumn.keep-inside-line, but built like RehearsalMark.break-align-symbols
— which would determine those grobs that cannot pass the page margins? For
example, I might want short-indent fixed to the margin and InstrumentNames
added post-hoc (i.e., the current default), or I might want InstrumentNames
added first and [short-]indent calculated post-hoc; I might want any TextScript
or RehearsalMark (etc.) dangling [and possibly running off the page, as
InstrumentName currently does], or RehearsalMark might form the left-most
“printed edge” sitting flush against the margin.

2. Regardless of the above, instrumentName and shortInstrumentName should
utimately have different settings: right now, it’s extremely difficult to set
paddings, alignments, etc. for them independently (i.e., you can’t, but you can
fudge it).

Just thinking out loud…  =)
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer