Re: License of code posted to this list

From: David Bellows
Subject: Re: License of code posted to this list
Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 13:55:32 -0700

> Sorry about not contacting you sooner!

It's perfectly OK! I'm sure I'm just way over-thinking the issue!

> I'm more than happy to let you use the "auto-ottava" code for your project.
> By posting it on this forum I make it available to anybody who sees utility
> in it.

I think that probably works. I can just add that to the top of the file.

> My concern (and consequent hesitation in answering) is simply that, should I
> or someone else decide incorporate it in the LilyPond code base in the
> future, there would be no complication.

Lilypond uses the GPL and can make use of code licensed to the public
domain (anyone can use public domain code with any license for any
purpose). https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLUSGovAdd I
think applies.

> You mention that your software is Affero GPL.  Would this conflict in any way
> with LilyPond's license?

Nope. In fact version 3 of the GPL (the version that Lilypond uses)
specifically mentions that it can be used with stuff licensed with the
Affero GPL. The "Affero" clause was intended to close a potential
loophole concerning web applications and otherwise uses the exact same
wording as the GPL and is maintained by the FSF
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html).