Re: Suggest a condensed old style or transitional font for lyrics?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Suggest a condensed old style or transitional font for lyrics?
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 01:02:22 +0200

Am 30.04.2015 um 20:57 schrieb Urs Liska:

Am 30.04.2015 um 17:20 schrieb Joshua Nichols:
I'm looking for something other than minion pro.

;-)

It also needs to have serifs (if not clear by the indication in the subject). What do you all use (free or otherwise)?

Well, apart from Minion Pro ...
- default Century Schoolbook,
  but I think that's not optimal for lyrics because it's too wide.
  Even without condensed variants there are narrower fonts available
- Linux Libertine
  Actually I like that very much because it's quite elegant and unobtrusively modern.
  Not very narrow either, though
- Old Standard TT
  can be used for a rather old-fashioned look
  but it's not narrow either, so not 100% suitable for lyrics either.

Bottom line: I am still in need of a good replacement font.
Some time ago, I fell in love with the Alegreya family from fontsquirrel.org – they look terrific and are rather narrow in my eyes. There is also a sans serif variant.

Yours, Simon