Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:13:37 -0700

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 12:47:02PM -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> >> Why would you want to check each bar twice?
> > These bar checks are mostly for humans to ease reading of the code,
> > not for machine interpreting.
>
> Does it double the time required?
> And if so, what total amount of processing time is actually added
> (say, per 100 bar checks)?
[...]

As far as I understand (I could be wrong), the amount of time it takes
to do a bar check is by far outweighed by the more complex tasks that
Lilypond does -- layout, collision avoidance, line-breaking,
page-breaking, etc.. So much so it probably only adds up to roundoff
error in the total computing time.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they
start making vacuum cleaners... -- Slashdotter