Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How do new users feel about LilyPond's documentation?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:19:31 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> I started using Lily for serious maybe a month ago, so I'm what you'd call
> new.

Welcome!  =)

> There's been a lot of mention (I imagine rightfully) about how Lily is
> capable, above all, of making beautifully engraved scores, and her
> suitability to managing a text-based, distributed, and version/change-tracked
> workflow. All of that sounds awesome, but I don't see anywhere where that's
> comprehensively documented.

Part of the problem is that much of that is still in flux — definitely at too
early a stage to spend much time documenting (since it’s all likely to change).
We chat about the stylesheet system, but there isn’t even a defined mechanism
yet. I rave about the edition-engraver, but its use and implementation changes
regularly enough (and we’re still figuring out what it can and should do, and
how), so developing “comprehensive documentation” would be foolish.

> what I'm really looking for is a comprehensive "best practices" style guide
> for how to organize larger scores […]
> Urs, I think this would probably dovetail nicely with your efforts to build a
> pool of competent engravers, as we would then all be working from the same
> style guidelines

And would also feed into any templates (as opposed to stylesheets) that
openLilyLib puts forth. (Again, once real templates are in place, a lot of
these “how do I” questions will be answered for beginning users. However,
having a template to use doesn’t in any way give a user the knowledge of how to
do it themselves, or why it was or should be done that way; that’s where
documentation comes in.)

I would be happy to help write a “Best Practices” guide (with whatever small
free time I currently have), if only we as a community could agree on what that
document would look like, where it would live, and what it would contain. Is it
an 11th manual to add to the collection found at
<http://www.lilypond.org/website/manuals.html>? That seems the likeliest
candidate for my money.

Best,
Kieren.