Re: best practices for volta (was Re: Problem with repeat, alternative e

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: best practices for volta (was Re: Problem with repeat, alternative endings that contain lyrics andleading rests)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:08:10 +0100

Kieren MacMillan wrote Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:13 PM

> My question *was*, ultimately, more of a technical inquiry than a feature
> request: I never use MIDI, or anything except visual output, so at least in
> the foreseeable future this feature/bug/whatever has no noticeable impact on
> my life either way. (To be honest, I don’t even really know what the
> \unfoldRepeats + MIDI issue actually is, never mind how it might be better
> handled.)
>
> So let me ask more explicitly: Precisely what, if anything, would be the
> technical difficulty in making [the single command] \repeat Do The Right
> Thing™ in all engraved (e.g., PDF), expressed (e.g., MIDI), and other (e.g.,
> MusicXML) output streams?

As I have a rather light understanding of LP internals I am not the best person
to answer this, but there are a couple of attempts to tackle this in the issue
DB: see

Clearly the problem is not trivial.  As MIDI is widely acknowledged to be a
relatively unimportant part of LP I doubt this is going to tackled while there
are more important issues to resolve, not least the loss of the issue DB itself
in just over 3 months time.

Trevor