Re: Slur and tie

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Slur and tie
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:22:14 +0200

On 2015-04-21 09:51, Urs Liska wrote:
is this correct?

   \relative c''' { a,,( e' b' c) ~ c( b a d,) }

How is it different from:

   \relative c''' { a,,( e' b' c ~ c b a d,) }

My musical intuition prefers the second line but the original score
reads the first.

The first version isn't technically wrong but rather strange and pointless.
The second version is definitely preferrable.
What to do depends on the context of course. In a critical edition I'd use the second version and add an annotation in the report.

Urs and Joram, I share e your musical intuition. But the practice of using slurs have changed over time and is also different for different instruments. Perhaps in the given context the slurring makes more sense!?

Best
Peter