Re: Bad extent estimation causing too much vertical spacing

From: Peter Bašista
Subject: Re: Bad extent estimation causing too much vertical spacing
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:23:51 +0200

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for the suggestions! I am definitely going to try that.

Peter

On Apr 17, 2015 12:13 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Peter, you wrote Thursday, April 16, 2015 11:15 PM

> I would like to ask a question about the vertical spacing in a rather
> long score ...
>
> I believe the attached sample can be typeset on 4 pages. But LilyPond
> by default uses 6 pages....
>
> But ...  I believe ...
> LilyPond should be clever enough to do it automatically, when set up
> properly. Now, the only question remaining is how to set it up
> properly.

The first thing to do is add \RemoveEmptyStaves to the preChorusOne
ChoirStaff:

prechorusOne = \context ChoirStaff
  \with { \RemoveEmptyStaves }
<<

That puts all the systems but two on 4 pages.

Next, remove the padding between systems by adding this to the paper
block:

    system-system-spacing.padding = 0

That permits another system to move up to page 1.

Finally, add     page-count = 4    to the paper block to force LP to use
only 4 pages.  LP objects slightly, with "number of pages is out of bounds",
but the resulting output looks reasonable to me.

The final thing to try, probably unneeded here, is of course to reduce the
global staff size with

#(set-global-staff-size 19.5)

which removes the error messages.

HTH